Detached Retina Symptoms and Signs

If you suddenly notice spots, floaters and flashes of light, you may be experiencing the warning signs of a detached retina. Your vision might become blurry, or you might have poor vision. Another sign is seeing a shadow or a curtain descending from the top of the eye or across from the side.
These signs can occur gradually as the retina pulls away from the supportive tissue, or they may occur suddenly if the retina detaches immediately.
No pain is associated with retinal detachment. If you experience any of the signs, consult your eye doctor right away. Immediate treatment increases your odds of regaining lost vision.

Retina Detachment ~ My Personal Experience

Within hours I went from being virtually oblivious to retinal detachments, and their implications, to understanding that, while minimal, there was a chance I could soon be blind in my left eye!
Here's a diary of what transpired and my perspective on possibly managing and improving treatment for pain and fear ... so you don't have to feel the pain I did and the fear I saw another go through!
So far I have had one reattachment which did not hold and am now in the process of undergoing more intrusive surgery to attempt reattachment.
(This is a blog, so to start at the beginning, simply scroll to the end and read forward from there.)
You can contact me ... Mike ... at marandmike @ sympatico.ca

Summary of My Operations

LEFT EYE
Jul 8, 2009 ... Pneumatic Retinopexy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Martin
Aug 6, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Chaudhary
Sept 4, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas, Buckle, Cataract: Lens replacement), Dr. Chaudhary
Oct 19, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (Silicone Oil), Dr. Chaudhary

RIGHT EYE
Jul 24, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Martin
Aug 1, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Chaudhary

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

UPDATE: Wednesday, July 22, 2009, 3:00 PM

It's been a quiet couple of days between postings; not much to say. This morning I had my first check up with Doctor Martin in a week, with good results.

My left sight did not improve over the last week, which his associate, Dr. Abdul, confirmed during his battery of preliminary tests before I went in to see Doc Martin.

Abdul is exceptionally interesting and very candid about his own country. We had a short chat about his father in the air force before WW2 and his grandfather being the first doctor in Afghanistan.

It will take an estimated 40 days for the gas bubble in my left eye to evaporate. Since it deflects light like crazy ... I see rays of light which bounce off the bubble ... it will take awhile before I see clearly - it still looks like someone has smeared Vaseline on my eye .... but not as much this week. The bubble also casts an emerald hue on everything. At a previous appointment Doc Martin explained it will be 2 to 3 months before I fully recover my sight, so I did not feel bad this morning when I could not read the bottom line on the chart.

Oh ya ... as an aside ... I played that old, old eye chart joke on Marina at St. Joseph's Hospital when she last checked me. Covering one eye and facing the chart I read out, "M A D E I N J A P A N". Maybe it's too old; she kind of ignored me, offering a very small hehe under her breath.

Since there are the beginnings of problems in my right eye ... a couple of minute holes at six o'clock for those keeping track and mapping my eyes along with the surgeon ... Doc Martin wants to nip those in the bud, so I have laser surgery on that one this Friday morning. (This is NOT major, so please, please, please ... no flowers.)

Martin has given me permission to lay almost prone at night now, but not below 30 degrees ... so we have reluctantly turned the furnace back on.

Also, I'm to limit my beloved gardening as yet, due to the continual bending over; plus refrain from full contact lawn bowling all together.

Overall, I am very encouraged by it all and glad that my prognosis is so good. There are others I chat with in the waiting room who are at risk of losing their sight, so I am extremely blessed with my own result.

Followers

Sitemeter