Detached Retina Symptoms and Signs

If you suddenly notice spots, floaters and flashes of light, you may be experiencing the warning signs of a detached retina. Your vision might become blurry, or you might have poor vision. Another sign is seeing a shadow or a curtain descending from the top of the eye or across from the side.
These signs can occur gradually as the retina pulls away from the supportive tissue, or they may occur suddenly if the retina detaches immediately.
No pain is associated with retinal detachment. If you experience any of the signs, consult your eye doctor right away. Immediate treatment increases your odds of regaining lost vision.

Retina Detachment ~ My Personal Experience

Within hours I went from being virtually oblivious to retinal detachments, and their implications, to understanding that, while minimal, there was a chance I could soon be blind in my left eye!
Here's a diary of what transpired and my perspective on possibly managing and improving treatment for pain and fear ... so you don't have to feel the pain I did and the fear I saw another go through!
So far I have had one reattachment which did not hold and am now in the process of undergoing more intrusive surgery to attempt reattachment.
(This is a blog, so to start at the beginning, simply scroll to the end and read forward from there.)
You can contact me ... Mike ... at marandmike @ sympatico.ca

Summary of My Operations

LEFT EYE
Jul 8, 2009 ... Pneumatic Retinopexy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Martin
Aug 6, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Chaudhary
Sept 4, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas, Buckle, Cataract: Lens replacement), Dr. Chaudhary
Oct 19, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (Silicone Oil), Dr. Chaudhary

RIGHT EYE
Jul 24, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Martin
Aug 1, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Chaudhary

Monday, July 13, 2009

Check Up, St. Joseph's Hospital, July 13th, 2009, 8:00 AM

This morning's check up with Dr. Martin and Dr. Shadra, the resident ophthalmologist at St. Joesph's, went very well:
* I was able to read down to about the 8th line on the chart.
* My eye was dilated with drops, and using that viciously bright light, Dr. Martin examined my whole eyeball, ("look up, more up, more to the right, good, now more to the right, not so much to the right, good, now down, further down, ....")
* Dr, Shadra also examined the gas bubble.
* Dr. Martin advised me to continue sitting slightly forward and to the left to keep the bubble in its place and to keep sleeping in an upright position, (which is so tough to do!).

Dr. Martin also explained how the retina reattaches. During the operation he froze the area behind the retina, causing scarring and swelling. This induces the body to repair itself, reattaching the retina as the gas bubble pushes the retina back into place.

----------------


As an aside, Doctor Martin had explained last week during my followup exam that he enjoys his namesake, the British comedy "Doctor Martin" aired on the American PBS network.
Last night, Mar and I enjoyed seeing it for the first time, (Episode 4 from the first series).
One scene showed the TV doctor visiting a ranger at a remote station. The ranger was experiencing a post Bosnian war mental disorder and had developed an imaginary eight foot red squirrel friend named Anthony. He set a place at the table for him and was troubled when Doctor Martin ignored him during a meal.
So on arrival this morning I told 'my' Doctor Martin I had brought an eight foot friend, Anthony the squirrel. His expression was glazed like a donut for a few seconds ... until he caught on and we all shared a very good laugh.

Followers

Sitemeter