Detached Retina Symptoms and Signs

If you suddenly notice spots, floaters and flashes of light, you may be experiencing the warning signs of a detached retina. Your vision might become blurry, or you might have poor vision. Another sign is seeing a shadow or a curtain descending from the top of the eye or across from the side.
These signs can occur gradually as the retina pulls away from the supportive tissue, or they may occur suddenly if the retina detaches immediately.
No pain is associated with retinal detachment. If you experience any of the signs, consult your eye doctor right away. Immediate treatment increases your odds of regaining lost vision.

Retina Detachment ~ My Personal Experience

Within hours I went from being virtually oblivious to retinal detachments, and their implications, to understanding that, while minimal, there was a chance I could soon be blind in my left eye!
Here's a diary of what transpired and my perspective on possibly managing and improving treatment for pain and fear ... so you don't have to feel the pain I did and the fear I saw another go through!
So far I have had one reattachment which did not hold and am now in the process of undergoing more intrusive surgery to attempt reattachment.
(This is a blog, so to start at the beginning, simply scroll to the end and read forward from there.)
You can contact me ... Mike ... at marandmike @ sympatico.ca

Summary of My Operations

LEFT EYE
Jul 8, 2009 ... Pneumatic Retinopexy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Martin
Aug 6, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Chaudhary
Sept 4, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas, Buckle, Cataract: Lens replacement), Dr. Chaudhary
Oct 19, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (Silicone Oil), Dr. Chaudhary

RIGHT EYE
Jul 24, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Martin
Aug 1, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Chaudhary

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update: My Gas Bubble Today ~ Sunday, July 12th, 2009

Found this excellent schematic
on the internet today

The top diagram shows the gas being injected directly into the back of the eyeball with a needle. This was definitely one of the more uncomfortable parts of my operation, but probably due mostly to the negative mental association of a needle being pushed right through my eyeball! My eye had been anesthetized locally, so any feeling was probably the pressure of the routine, not pain felt from nerves being traumatized by the needle.

The second diagram shows the gas bubble expanded.

As explained by Dr. Martin during the operation, the gas bubble would slowly expand. Has it ever! I'd guesstimate that it has expanded at least four or five times in size now, four days after the operation. It's quite the phenomenon to see ~ and how wonderful it is to see!!!

My bubble sits and shimys at the bottom of my left eye. It is opaque and a beautiful emerald green. Last night I looked out into the garden where we have a few dozen solar-powered garden lights ... they were all a beautiful emerald green when looking through my left eye only.

When I lean forward the bubble sits in the centre of my vision like a giant green drop of water impeding my eyesight. It's so unique!

Vision-wise overall, apart from the impeding opaque gas bubble, my sight has partially returned, albeit very blurry. I'd bet I could only read the "E" at the top of an eye chart, but last Wednesday I couldn't see out of the left eye at all, so I'll take it! My whole field of vision is back, full periphery included, but it still looks like someone has smeared Vaseline across the surface of my eye. I've noticed that writing across the TV screen, such as the by-lines on the bottom of CNN News, (hey ~ I was on that channel just to check my sight, okay!), is ripply or curvy. I'm supposing this is caused by the gas bubble.

Anyway, better get off of here and go follow the Doc's orders. He wants me to sit still for two weeks with my head slightly forward and tilted to the left. This holds the gas bubble against the detached part of the retina ... slowly pushing it back into place ... hopefully permanently!

Followers

Sitemeter