Detached Retina Symptoms and Signs

If you suddenly notice spots, floaters and flashes of light, you may be experiencing the warning signs of a detached retina. Your vision might become blurry, or you might have poor vision. Another sign is seeing a shadow or a curtain descending from the top of the eye or across from the side.
These signs can occur gradually as the retina pulls away from the supportive tissue, or they may occur suddenly if the retina detaches immediately.
No pain is associated with retinal detachment. If you experience any of the signs, consult your eye doctor right away. Immediate treatment increases your odds of regaining lost vision.

Retina Detachment ~ My Personal Experience

Within hours I went from being virtually oblivious to retinal detachments, and their implications, to understanding that, while minimal, there was a chance I could soon be blind in my left eye!
Here's a diary of what transpired and my perspective on possibly managing and improving treatment for pain and fear ... so you don't have to feel the pain I did and the fear I saw another go through!
So far I have had one reattachment which did not hold and am now in the process of undergoing more intrusive surgery to attempt reattachment.
(This is a blog, so to start at the beginning, simply scroll to the end and read forward from there.)
You can contact me ... Mike ... at marandmike @ sympatico.ca

Summary of My Operations

LEFT EYE
Jul 8, 2009 ... Pneumatic Retinopexy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Martin
Aug 6, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas), Dr. Chaudhary
Sept 4, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (C3F8 Gas, Buckle, Cataract: Lens replacement), Dr. Chaudhary
Oct 19, 2009 ... Vitrectomy, (Silicone Oil), Dr. Chaudhary

RIGHT EYE
Jul 24, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Martin
Aug 1, 2009 ... Laser Surgery, Dr. Chaudhary

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

UPDATE, Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

St. Joseph's Hospital
Main Entrance
King Street Campus, Stoney Creek
-0-0-0-0-0-0-
My next scheduled appointment with Dr. Chaudhary was for 10:00 AM this morning and my operation is still tentatively scheduled for Thursday.
Before seeing Dr. Chaudhary, some preliminary exams and note-taking were done first by Marina the Clinician and then by Dr. Sharda, the resident opthamologist. Then on to see “The Big Boss” ….
At Sunday’s pre operation chat, Dr. Chaudhary had explained that I have to fast, solids and liquids included, from Wednesday at midnight.
So the very first thing, when Chaudhary asked how I was doing, and if I had any more questions and concerns, I explained how starved I was since I had been fasting since midnight for this appointment, as per his instructions.
He turned towards me and gave me a brand new look, a look of inquisition lying somewhere between ‘are you that dumb?’ or ‘are you pulling my leg?’ When he realized he wasn’t dealing with a deck of cards short of an ace he had a good laugh.
In fact I had two concerns, one for each eye. My left eye had gone completely blind the day before. Marina the clinician had just shone a very bright light into it and I had seen the barest of a flicker. Telling him my guess would be now 99.9% blind, I explained my layman’s fear that perhaps the retina had become completely torn, dislodged and irreparable. Thankfully, even before he looked under the microscope he assured me that it would remain attached at the base, towards the lens, and that the operation had not become more critical due to this advanced state of blindness.
My second concern was the increased number of floaters in my right eye, (as in the one and only good one I currently have). He confirmed my suspicion that these were the result of Saturday’s laser treatment and not a sign of a second retinal detachment. PHEW!!!
So all the worries I had harboured over the last two days were quickly negated by his explanations.
He took me over to a secretary who gave me the necessary forms I have to complete and take tomorrow morning to the Pre-Op department at downtown St. Joseph’s, the site of Thursday’s operation, (because St. Joseph’s, Stoney Creek is on a summer vacation schedule).
So much paperwork for Thursday’s operation! They want all my medical history!
Again! Why don’t they have a central computer system … it’s all over the province now … at my family doctor’s, plus the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital, (my annual examinations) and again at the St. Catharine’s General, (my ruptured Achilles tendon).
Also, I am beginning to wonder if they really do read all the forms? Perhaps under the listing of past medical history I should slip in that I once had a fallopian tube pregnancy, just to make sure they are on their toes….

Followers

Sitemeter